Akron’s Main Street has seen many changes over the years. The city would hardly be recognized by founders Simon Perkins and Paul Williams.
At one time, Howard Street was one of the most popular areas of Akron’s downtown. Busy people, cars, and horses with carts fill the scene outside Federman’s “Lowest Price Store in Akron.” Also in the scene – the Empress theater, and Kirk’s.
The Portage Hotel, located downtown at Main Street and Market Street, replaced the former Empire House Hotel in 1912 and served as Akron’s leading hotel until the opening of the modern Mayflower Hotel in 1931.
The first horseless police vehicle ever introduced in the United States was purchased by the city of Akron in 1899. The Collins Buddy Company produced the car for $2,400, or $65,000 in today’s money. Two 4hp electric motors powered the battery-run vehicle. With a top speed of 18 mph and a range of 30 miles with the batteries…
The Metropolitan Building still stands today although its name has been changed by current owners to Chemstress Courtyard. Location: 39 South Main Street
Akron’s Flatiron Building was located at Howard and Main Streets in downtown Akron. It was built in 1907 and demolished in 1967.
An early view of Akron’s Main Street complete with streetcar, horse cart and vintage automobiles.
Patriotism is on display as Akronites turn out for a celebration on South Main Street.
This towering structure once stood at 11 South Main Street. The 11-story, 112-room hotel was the tallest building in Akron when it opened in 1915. The hotel, which had been left vacant and neglected for years, was demolished in 1998.
In 2005, after 104 years of service to the community, Akron’s YWCA officially disbanding. The former Y.W.C.A. building at 22 S. High St. was originally called the Grace House, (later known as the Sawan Building). The YWCA moved into the building in 1907 after remodeling and adding a cafeteria, swimming pool, gym, and track. The…
Another busy day on Akron’s Main Street. The abundance of entertainment, shopping, and dining establishments served as a draw to Akron’s downtown.
Before the rubber giants moved away, Akron’s Main Street was one of the busiest in America. With an abundance of entertainment, shopping, and dining opportunities along with convenient mass transit, it was a natural meeting place.
This is the Ohio Building in Akron, Ohio. In this postcard view, old cars can be seen parked along the front and side of the building. Additionally, a horse and cart are seen on the street making deliveries.
The YMCA building was constructed to give people a place to eat, stay for short or long terms, and worship.The highrise was originally constructed with an indoor pool which is still in use. The main part of the building was used as living/housing space.
The Mayflower hotel was located at the corner of State and Main. In this view, it was a DeWitt operated hotel.
Interurban cars are lined up outside the Hamilton Building on South Main Street. It’s another busy day in Akron.
Quaker Oats mills looking down Akron’s busy Howard Street. The Flatiron building is seen here towering above the Interurban streetcars.
Planned as the finest YMCA in Ohio, the 16-story Art Deco building opened to the public in 1931.
Akron YMCA Building is a registered historic building in Akron, Ohio, listed in the National Register on October 31, 1980. Although the YMCA is still in the building for which it is named, the organization no longer owns the building. The YMCA now leases space on the lower floors from the building’s owner.
Ohio Bell was part of the Bell System system of companies, led by the Bell Telephone Company and later by AT&T. It provided telephone services to much of the United States and Canada from 1877 to 1984.