Post office building in Cuyahoga Falls, near Akron, Ohio.Location: 2054 2nd St, Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44221
Category: Cuyahoga Falls
Silver Lake Park – Entrance
For 40 years, visitors to Silver Lake Park were never at a loss for things to do. Steamboat cruise on the lake, miniature train rides, a roller coaster, a merry-go-round, and a midway all added to the excitement of a day at the park. There was even a pavilion with space for 500 dinners as well as a 15,000…
Silver Lake Park – Bath House
In 1874, Ralph H. Lodge bought Silver Lake (all the land covered by water but no land around it) for $1,300. The next year, Lodge bought 35 acres of land at the South West corner of the lake. Prior to Lodge’s investment, a tribe of Seneca Indians summered at the South end of Silver Lake…
A beautiful view of the river flowing through The Glen (today’s Gorge Park) Akron, Ohio (Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio).
Gorge – The Glens
Carved from the earth nearly 12,000 years ago, the Gorge is one of the area’s greatest natural wonders. The area is also filled with amazing folklore. On May 21, 1758, at the age of ten, Campbell was abducted from a place in or near the town of Penn’s Creek, in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania. Her captors were a band…
Gorge – Old Maids Kitchen
Once known as Old Maid’s Kitchen, the site can be found in the Gorge Metro Park. Today, the cave is named for Mary Campbell, a white settler from Pennsylvania taken captive by the Leni Lenape Indians and brought to the Cuyahoga Valley and possibly the Gorge.
Big Falls at Gorge
In the early 1900s, the Northern Ohio Traction & Light Company built a power plant and concrete dam on the Cuyahoga River in present day Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. Although the power plant is long gone, the dam remains and its waters continue hide Big Falls.
High Bridge – Cuyahoga Falls / Akron
Lower and Higher Bridges over the Cuyahoga River. The Lower Bridge, at Gorge, was 100 feet long by 50 feet wide and made of wood with iron supports. The Higher Bridge was 375 feet long by 101 feet high. It was erected in 1904 at a cost of $70,000. Although primarily used for electric cars,…
Silver Lake Park – Miniature Railway
An evening train ride through the Silver Lake Park on the shores of Silver Lake near Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. The train was just one of many attractions at the park, including a dance hall, small zoo, amusement rides, picnic areas, and steamboat rides. The first conductor on the Silver Lake Miniature Railroad was Sammy Wise…
Chautauqua Park – Train to Silver Lake Park
The Miniature Railway at Silver Lake Park was a 15 in gauge miniature railway opened in 1902. The main station was on the lakeshore at the boat landing dock. The inaugural route, which changed in later years, allowed passengers lengthy views of the lake and the zoo area.
Silver Lake Park – Menagerie
Beginning in 1874, Silver Lake and the land surrounding it was a popular Akron area amusement park. The lake was acquired in 1876 by Ralph H. Lodge and he subsequently also purchased the land surrounding the body of water. It was originally a picnicking and swimming area, but before it closed Silver Lake Amusement Park featured animal…
Silver Lake Park – Bears
In 1888, Ralph Lodge was presented with a female black bear cub, Topsy, captured on the north shore of Lake Superior. In September of the same year, he purchased an eight-month-old male cub, Patrick, which had been caught in Central Michigan. Patrick went on to father 78 cubs at Silver Lake.
View of the Gorge Viaduct
The Gorge formed about 12,000 years ago as the Cuyahoga River carried water to Lake Erie. Most of the 100 mile river is shallow and slow-moving — but in the gorge, water descends 200 feet within a short two-mile section of the gorge.
Gorge – High Bridge
The lower bridge was built in 1895, while the upper double-track streetcar bridge was built in 1903. Both bridges spanned the Gorge between Akron and Cuyahoga Falls, located near the road that is now Front Street, north of Cuyahoga Falls Avenue.
Marathon Tire and Rubber
The Marathon Rubber Co. of Cuyahoga Falls/Akron opened in 1912. They manufactured a variety of rubber products including tires, tubes, and belts. The plant pictured here was located on Front Street at the end of Sackett Avenue. Marathon Tire and Rubber Co. formed from the reorganization of the original Marathon Company with C.C. Osmun serving…
NOT&L Power House
The Northern Ohio Traction & Light Co. powerhouse (also known as the Gorge Power Station) and trolley bridge, Cuyahoga Falls/Akron, Ohio.
N.O.T. Co. Bridge and Power Plant
A streetcar passes over the bridge in front of the N.O.T Co. power plant. on it’s way to Akron, Ohio.
Gorge – High Bridge Glenn’s and Falls
The High Bridge Glens and Caves Park, located along the Cuyahoga River in Cuyahoga Falls, was a popular tourist destination in the late 1800s. The park attracted as many as 8,000 visitors per day. The entire area is currently submerged behind the NOT&L “Edison” Dam.
Bridge at the Gorge
The Northern Ohio Power and Light Company built a power plant at the southeast corner of the High Street car bridge over the Cuyahoga River in 1912. This project included the construction of a dam that would cover the famed Big Falls and forever change the natural beauty of the Gorge.
Silver Lake Park – Steamboat
In 1874, the lake and the land surrounding it was a popular amusement park in the Akron area. Beginning in 1876 by Ralph H. Lodge began acquiring the lake and its surrounding land. It was originally a picnicking and swimming area, but quickly grew into the Silver Lake Amusement Park. The Park featured animal exhibits,…