Category: Offices

Akron Savings and Loan Building

Akron Savings & Loan

In 1888, the Akron Building and Loan Association was opened. The first officers included familiar Akron family names: Hugo Schumacher, W.B. Gamble, A.H. Noah, William Buchtel, and P.M. Atterholt. In 1909, after several moves, the name of the company was changed to the Akron Savings and Loan Company, with its headquarters at the Savings and Loan…

First-Second National Bank

First-Second National Bank

The First-Second National Building was constructed in 1911 on the southeast corner of South Main Street and East Bowery Street. In 1919, four additional floors were added to the building. Although it was designed for the Second National Bank, during construction the bank merged with the First National Bank to form the First-Second National Bank.

Hower Building

Hower Building

The Hower building at 31 West Market Street in Akron, Ohio. The building was used for light manufacturing and storage businesses, as well as a clock repair shop, beauty supplies store, and print shops.

Hamilton Building, Akron, Ohio

Hamilton Building

Once standing on the site of today’s First National Bank Tower. The Hamilton Building was home to Akron’s first major bank, the Central Savings and Trust which moved into the building in 1918 and remained there until the building was demolished.

First National Tower, Akron, Ohio

First National Tower

In 1904, the Akron-based Central Savings Bank merged with the Akron Trust Company to form Central Savings & Trust Company. In 1947, the First National Bank of Akron took control of the Central Savings and converted to a commercial bank. At that time the tower took on the name “First National Tower”.

Second National Bank Building, Akron, Ohio

Second National Bank

Built in 1911, The Second National Bank Building is located on the southeast corner of South Main St and East Bowery St. It was constructed by Carmichael Construction and designed by George B. Post & Sons. Four additional floors (shown here) were added to the building in 1919.   Pre 1919 view without the additional four floors:…

Hamilton Building, Akron, Ohio

Hamilton Building

This rather plain looking structure once stood on the site of today’s First National Bank Tower. The Hamilton Building was home to the Central Savings and Trust which moved into the building in 1918 and renamed it the Central Savings and Trust Building. The bank remained there until the building was demolished and replaced by…

Peoples Savings Bank

Peoples Savings Bank

This corner of Main Street and Exchange Street is filed with Akron history. Before the Peoples Savings Bank was constructed here, this was the home of Henry Clark’s Tavern, the first hotel in Akron built in 1836. The Evans Building and Loan Association took control of the property in 1915 and constructed what is now know as the…

Radio Station WADC = Home of CBS in Akron, Ohio

WADC Radio

Built on the site where Hotel Buchtel once stood, the WADC building was completed May 6th, 1949. The entire second floor was occupied by Radio Station WADC, which was established April 8th, 1925, and was owned and operated by Allen T. Simmons. In 1929 the station’s announcer was George F. Houston. According to 440.com, other…

Hamilton Building, Akron, Ohio

Hamilton Building

The Hamilton Building once on the site of today’s First National Bank Tower. The Hamilton Building was home to Akron’s first major bank, the Central Savings and Trust which moved into the building in 1918, renamed it the Central Savings & Trust Building and remained there until the building was demolished to make way for…

First-Second National Bank Building, Akron, Ohio

First-Second National Bank

This pre 1919 postcard view shows the building as originally constructed. In 1919 the building had an additional four floors added. It has also gone through a number of name changes over the years. Today it is known as the Key Building but was formerly known as the Society Building, The Centran Building, and the First National Bank Building.   Post…