Michael O’Neil and his partner Isaac Dyas began serving Akron shoppers in 1877. Their first store was a dry goods store located at 114 East Market Street. In 1912, O’Neil sold his stores to the May Department Stores for $1million. The massive 800,000 square foot building in downtown Akron was constructed in 1927-28. The store operated in…
Quaker Oats mills looking down Akron’s busy Howard Street. The Flatiron building is seen here towering above the Interurban streetcars.
The streetlights outside the J. Koch Company, the Grotto, Lewis Jewlery and the Buchtel are all aglow on this chilly night in Akron. Main Street is busy with Interurban cars and trolleys shuttling Akronites in and out of town.
Located on Main Street, Akron’s Scotts Store was a popular five and dime with a lunch and snack counter.