Construction on the current church building began in 1902, and was opened in 1905. The building features a German Baroque Romanesque style and was designed by Akron-born architect William P. Ginther. St. Bernard Church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
First Congregational Church dates back to 1833. In 1834 the State of Ohio recognized petition to incorporate the First Congregational Church making it the first formally recognized church in Akron. Their first church building was located on High Street, where the courthouse is today. Their third building, pictured here, was constructed in 1909-10 and remains in…
“The Brightest Spot in the Underworld” – Originally founded by the Reverend Bill Denton, the church worked to help the local area’s unserved and needy. Over the years the church successfully expanded its ministry and outreach to serve the greater Akron area.
North Hill M.E. Church, Akron, Ohio
Founded in 1834, First Baptist has a long history of ministry in Akron community. The church was initially established with just nine people who met in a schoolhouse. About two years later, construction began on their first building on the corner of East Center Street and Buchtel Avenue. In 1853, the church purchased the Old…
The Akron Baptist temple first opened in 1934 with 14 members at Rimer Elementary School in Akron. It was led by Rev. Dallas F. Billington, known, in part, for his racism and support of segregation.
Construction on the current church building began in 1902, and opened in 1905. It features a German Baroque Romanesque style of architecture and was designed by noted Akron-born architect William P. Ginther, whose portfolio also includes Annunciation, St. Bernard, and St. Mary Church. St. Bernard Church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
Located at 471 Crosby Street in Akron, OH, Learn more: https://episcopalakron.org/
Although the current church building opened in 1916, the history of St. Mary’s parish goes back much further. In 1887, Bishop Richard Gilmour commissioned Rev. Dr. Thomas F. Mahar, pastor of St. Vincent Church, the oldest Catholic church in Akron, to establish a mission in South Akron. That mission became St. Mary Parish in 1896.
With roots in dating back to the 1830’s, the St. Paul’s congregation has a long history in Akron. This two-story Victorian Gothic structure was built in 1885 and served as the church Sunday school and parish house. A large sanctuary was added in 1909. The congregation remained at this location until 1952, when it moved to its…
TheSt. Paul’s sanctuary, shown here, was erected in 1909 on the triangular lot at East Market, Forge, and Fir streets. The congregation remained at this location until 1952, when it moved to West Market Street. Location: 354 E. Market St. St. Paul’s Episcopal Church
Located at 77/81 West Miller Avenue. Founded in 1905. 1905-1909 – Reverend Samuel E. Snepp (Resided at 119 Buchtel Ave.) 1910-1923 – Reverend Harry Rohrbaugh 1923-//// – Reverend Richard R. Yocum, D.D. 1925-1926 – Reverend Earl Mason Anneshansly (Associate Pastor)
The First Methodist Episcopal Church was located on the corner of Broadway and Church Streets. In 1911, the building was destroyed by a fire despite being located across the street from a fire station.
When the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Akron was ready to construct a new building, Lewis Miller, a successful inventor, and industrialist had a plan. Working with architects Walter Blythe and Jacob Snyder, Miller devised a plan for a better Sunday school. Miller’s plan utilized wedge-shaped classrooms separated by partitions radiating from the direction of a central…
With roots as a mission church visited by Father Basil A. Shorb, pastor of St. Francis Xavier Church, Doylestown, in 1837, St. Vincent de Paul parish is the oldest church in Akron. The current building (pictured here) dates back to 1867.
The First Baptist Church continues today, although not in this building. After 75 in its downtown location, the congregation made a decision to resettle in West Akron on Shatto Avenue in 1965.