Kaase’s Restaraunt was located at 53 E. Mill Street.
“Food of DistinctionFR-3516 53 E. Mill Street, Akron, O. Off Rt. 5, Opposite Colonial TheaterBetween Main and High St. SERVING LUNCH AND DINNER11:00 A.M. to 8:30 P.M.Open All Year Except ChristmasOUR SPECIALTIESCrisp Potato BasketFilled With Creamed ChickenSteaks and ChopsHot Cinnamon RollsSouthern Corn SticksFacilities for Private Parties”AIR CONDITIONED
In 1911, aviation pioneer Glenn H. Curtiss promised Akron a memorable event. Curtiss brought his experimental hydro-airplane to Lakeside Park at Summit Lake. His three flights were seen by nearly 50,000 people that day. During his final flight, the hydro-airplane lost a section of its propeller. Although the plane to become unstable, Curtiss was able to safely bring…
The Strand Theatre opened on September 2, 1915 with “The Island of Regeneration”. The theater had seating for more than 1200 patrons. It was demolished in 1990.
WADC broadcasting studios located in the Towell Cadillac Building. WADC first broadcast as a temporary station for a 1925 car show at the Central Garage. The call letters were derived from the show’s sponsor, the Automobile Dealers’ Company. After the show ended, Allen Simmons, owner of the Allen Theater, bought the equipment and obtained a…
In this postcard view of old Akron, children of all ages can be seen playing together on teeter-totters (seesaws) at the Perkins Square play ground.
The Unique theater on Main Street was one of Akron’s famous vaudeville theaters. Around 1905, The Unique would be converted into Akron’s first motion picture theater.
The brainchild of Akron businessmen John L. Snyder, Philip Austgen and Jack Rampanelli, Summit Beach Park began as a friendly conversation over billiards. Once constructed, the park went on to become one of Akron’s most popular entertainment destinations.
The Portage Path Canoe club was located at Lakeside Park on the shores of Summit Lake in Akron, Ohio.
A crowded day of fun at Akron’s Summit Beach Park on the shores of Summit Lake. The park provided Akronites with 40 years of summer fun before closing the gates for good in 1958.
Patriotism is on display as Akronites turn out for a celebration on South Main Street.
Funded by Werner Printing and Lithograph Company’s founder, Paul E. Werner, the German American Hall was constructed as a place for German activities. He called it “The Deutsch Haus” (The German House). As anti-German sentiments arose during World War I, it became necessary to rebrand the building as simply the Music Hall. Location: 44 E.…
The German Music Hall was dedicated in 1904 with a concert by the Victor Herbert Orchestra. Paul E. Werner, a German-American immigrant and philanthropist who made his fortunes in the publishing industry (Werner Printing and Lithograph Company) financed the $65,000 building. Following construction, it was commonly known as the German-American Music Hall. Growing anti-German sentiments…
A US Navy Corsair Fighter, built by Goodyear Aircraft flies over the Rubber Bowl Stadium. Goodyear Aircraft produced more than 4,000 Corsair fighter planes. During the height of production, it was common for Akronites to see these “warbirds” flying above the city.
Created by Ralph H. Lodge, Silver Lake Park and Chautauqua Park were a popular regional resort accessible by streetcar and rail. Silver Lake featured boating, swimming, and a large pavilion with a 15,000 square-foot dance floor, a freshwater aquarium, an airfield, and the Chautauqua Auditorium (pictured here) that featured prominent speakers of the day.
The Music Hall was dedicated on opened in 1904 with a concert by the Victor Herbert Orchestra. Paul E. Werner, a German-American immigrant and philanthropist who made his fortunes in the publishing industry (Werner Printing and Lithograph Company) financed the $65,000 building. It was commonly known as the German-American Music Hall until anti-German sentiments arose…
It’s a busy day at Akron’s Summit Beach Park. Visitors take in the many amusements and attractions at the famed park on the shores of Summit Lake. – Summit Beach Park averaged 25,000 visitors a day at its peak.
A crowded parking lot at Akron’s popular amusement park, Summit Beach Park on the shores of Summit Lake.
The landing was located on the south shore of Long Lake – the Portage Lakes.
Built on the site where Hotel Buchtel once stood, the WADC building was completed May 6th, 1949. The entire second floor was occupied by Radio Station WADC, which was established April 8th, 1925, and was owned and operated by Allen T. Simmons. In 1929 the station’s announcer was George F. Houston. According to 440.com, other…
Location across from Akron’s Union Station, Grace Park became a hotspot for political campaigns and “whistle stop” speeches. Rutherford B. Hayes, William H. Taft, William McKinley, and Theodore Roosevelt all gave speeches to large crowds at Grace Park.
League Park II was located near Summit Lake along Lakeshore Blvd. between W. Long St. and W. Crosier St. in Akron, Ohio.
The original League Park was located at the corner of Carroll St. and Beaver St. in Akron, Ohio.