The Imperial 400 motel chain was founded in 1959. Properties were usually two-story buildings with “gull wing” shaped roofs over the lobby. The architecture of Akron’s Imperial hotel was typical of the chain. Location: 210 W. Market Street “Aye, Royal Accommodations at Thr-rifty Rates – America’s Fast Growing Partnership Chain. All New! Heated Swimming Pool, Room TV, Phones,…
The YMCA building was constructed to give people a place to eat, stay for short or long terms, and worship.The highrise was originally constructed with an indoor pool which is still in use. The main part of the building was used as living/housing space.
“Sheraton Hotel, 259 So. Main Street, Akron Ohio – Akron’s finest hotel. In the heart of the main shopping and business district. Within walking distance to all transportation centers. Headquarters for the famous “Soap Box Derby.” Free Sheraton Direct Line Teletype Reservation Service.”
The Portage Hotel was located at 10 North Main Street in Akron. The eight-story, 170-room hotel opened on June 12, 1912. In 1935, the Portage Hotel was host to the founding of the United Rubber Workers Union. The Portage closed in 1969 and was repurposed for a short time as a nursing home. The building…
The Portage Hotel was located downtown at Main Street and Market Street. The hotel replaced the former Empire House Hotel in 1912 and served as Akron’s leading hotel until being eclipsed by the modern art deco style Mayflower Hotel in 1931.
The Mayflower hotel was located at the corner of State and Main. In this view, it was a DeWitt operated hotel.
Opened in 1891 by John B. Groetz (1866-1951), this late 19th-century hotel was a popular meeting place for famous politicians, businessmen, and athletes. Mark Hanna, the right-hand man of President McKinley, often dined here. Thomas Edison, a good friend of Harvey Firestone, was also a frequent visitors. Location: – Demolished – Portage Lakes Drive in Portage Lakes, Ohio.
The Mayflower Hotel took her place among downtown Akron’s landmark buildings in 1931. The luxury hotel was an enormous symbol of the city’s prosperity. Interestingly, 1931 also saw the rise of Akron’s First Central Trust Tower and the new YMCA building.
It didn’t win a title as first, biggest, most luxurious, or even remotely famous among Akron’s hotels, but the Midtown Motel was a long time fixture on Akron’s E. Market Street. Midtown guests could enjoy a stay in one of 90-100 air-conditioned rooms, all with tile baths, free TV, and a phone. Meeting rooms were also available,…
Planned as the finest YMCA in Ohio, the 16-story Art Deco building opened to the public in 1931.
Akron YMCA Building is a registered historic building in Akron, Ohio, listed in the National Register on October 31, 1980. Although the YMCA is still in the building for which it is named, the organization no longer owns the building. The YMCA now leases space on the lower floors from the building’s owner.
The Akron YMCA began in 1870 as a small reading room on South Howard Street. By In 1904 they had grown enough to build a five-story building at State and Main. This structure was later raised to make room for the Mayflower Hotel.
This is Akron’s first YMCA building. The organization would outgrow this building by the 1920’s and replace it with a 16-story Art Deco building in 1931. The Young Men’s Christian Association, commonly known as simply the Y, is an organization founded on putting Christian principles into practice by developing a healthy “body, mind, and spirit”.
Rooftop view of North Akron from the Portage Hotel.
The Y.W.C.A. building at 22 S. High St. was originally called the Grace House, (later known as the Sawan Building). The YWCA moved into the building in 1907 after remodeling and adding a cafeteria, swimming pool, gym, and track. The building was demolished in 1994.
Located at 10 North Main Street, this eight-story, 170-room hotel was completed in 1912. After its closing in 1969, the Portage was converted into a nursing home. After 80 years in Akron, the building was demolished in 1992.
The main building was originally the Methodist church which stood on the corner of South Broadway and Church streets. The building was purchased by F. Schumacher and moved to the corner of Mill and Summit streets, where he operated it as a temperance hotel under the name “Cascade House”. In 1884, Schumacher moved the building…
100 outside fireproof rooms with bath. Modern cocktail bar and Clark restaurant.
Magnificently modern in concept, comfort, convenience – 200 luxury rooms – Free inside parking – Swimming pool – Restaurant. 50 West State St. Akron 8 Ohio Telephone: 762-0451 Teletype AK84
Originally called the Grace House, (later known as the Sawan Building), the Y.W.C.A. moved into this building in 1907 after remodeling and adding a cafeteria, swimming pool, gym, and track. The building remained a part of Akron’s structurescape until its demolition in 1994.
Built by William Buchtel (1822-1914), the five-story brick and stone hotel opened in 1884 on the southeast corner of Main and Mill Streets. It featured a hydraulic-powered elevator, electric lights in every room and bathrooms on every floor.
The Portage Hotel at Main Street and Market Street replaced the Empire House Hotel in 1912. The Portage was Akron’s leading hotel until construction of the Mayflower Hotel. In 1935, in the Portage Hotel’s ballroom, Akron’s rubber workers created the United Rubber Workers (URW) union.