View on East Market Street
East Market Street featured the homes of F.A. Seiberling (Goodyear), Ferdinand Schumacher (Quaker Oats) and O.C. Barber (Diamond Match).
East Market Street
The street has been called Millionaires’ Row by some and rightfully so. Before it was commercially developed, Akron’s East Market Street was populated by Akron’s most famous names. F.A. Seiberling (Goodyear), Ferdinand Schumacher (Quaker Oats), O.C. Barber (Diamond Match).
East Market Street – Looking West
The Empire House opened on November 20, 1847. The hotel served Akron visitors until it was torn down in 1912 to make way for the Portage Hotel.
Second National Bank Building
The main building was home to the Second National Bank, but more interesting is The United States Express Company just a few doors up the road, The USE operated from 1854 to 1914 as a privately owned company that forwarded parcels and freight. The company served the northern states from New England west to Colorado. Modern…
Hotel Frankfort, Market Street
View of the Hotel Frankfort on Akron’s Market Street. The hotel was north of the old Library and Post Office.
Paul E. Werner’s Residence – West Market
Before Rubber made the city, Akronite Paul E. Werner was making a name for himself in the printing/publishing business. In 1886 he began building the Werner Printing and Lithograph Co. which, for a time, was the nation’s largest book publishing company. Rapid changes to international copyright laws in the early 1900s swept Werner’s company into a…
Very old view of the Empire House on Akron’s Market Street. The area is busy with activity as a trolley moves through the scene. By 1912, the Empire would be destroyed to make way for the new 250-room Portage Hotel.
East Market Street
A wonderful view of East Market Street showing the transition period from horse and cart to automobile. On the left side of the image, one of Akron’s first hotels can be seen; The Empire House Hotel opened in 1847 and served Akron visitors until it was torn down in 1912. It was replaced by the Portage…