From 1891 through 1950, Akron’s Union Station was an important busy part of the city’s growth. The railroad station served passengers on trains from the Baltimore & Ohio (B&O), Pennsylvania and Erie railroads. In 1950, the railroad station was replaced by the new Akron Union Depot.
Although grand in appearance, Akron’s Union Station was not a centerpiece of pride for Akronites. Many visitors complained that the railroad station was too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer, dirty, and small. Despite the complaints, the station lasted nearly 60 years before being replaced by the more modern Union Depot.
Akron’s rapid population growth of the early 1900s put a strain on the city’s Union Station – built in 1891. Additions were made to enlarge the station, but they weren’t enough. In 1950 the building was replaced by a much larger and considerably more modern Union Depot.
Built before the rubber boom, Akron’s Union Station quickly showed its inadequacies as the city’s population exploded. Although additions were made, the station was never large enough to handle the popularity of Akron. In 1950 a new Union Depot was built to replace the aging structure and by 1951 it had been demolished.
This was Akron’s second Union station. Although an attractive structure, Akronites didn’t have much love for this railroad station. Many complained about it being too small, too dirty, too hot in the summer, and too cold in the winter. Built in 1891, it was replaced and demolished in 1950.
Lower and Higher Bridges over the Cuyahoga River. The Lower Bridge, at Gorge, was 100 feet long by 50 feet wide and made of wood with iron supports. The Higher Bridge was 375 feet long by 101 feet high. It was erected in 1904 at a cost of $70,000. Although primarily used for electric cars,…
Amelia Flats was the first of two apartment building constructed by businessman Horace B. Camp (1838-1907). The flats were built as upscale suites in a neighborhood well known for its affluent residents – Barber, Buchtel, Bierce, Firestone, Hower, Seiberling and Schumacher.
With a train in the background a sunken canal boat in the foreground, and the prominent Northern Ohio Railway bridge towering over the scene, this historic postcard image gives a glimpse into Akron, Ohio’s transportation history.
The city’s second Union Station was built in 1891 and demolished in 1951. It was located between East Market and Park streets. This station served the Baltimore & Ohio (B&O), Cleveland Akron & Columbus (CA&C) and the Erie Railroads. It was replaced by Union Depot.
Amelia flats was a five-story apartment building, which stood on Park Street across from picturesque Grace Park, it was one of the city’s earliest apartment houses when opened in 1901.
This ornate railway passenger station, built in 1888, was located on the corner of West Market Street and South Canal Street. The station was built to relocate passenger service from the railroad’s less convenient station at North Howard and Ridge Streets. The Valley Railway reached from Cleveland to Akron via the Cuyahoga Valley and then south to Valley Junction…
Akron’s third Union Station was built in 1949. The Railroad Depot was used by both the Pennsylvania and Baltimore & Ohio Railroads. Union Depot was connected to the Greyhound Bus Station by way of a bridge over the tracks. The enclosed bridge had a stairway and escalator to track level. The last intercity passenger train to…
Akron’s Downtown Union Station Akron’s second Union Station was constructed in 1891 and had several addition made before being demolished in 1951. It was located between East Market Street and Park Street. The station served three major railroads including the Baltimore & Ohio, the Cleveland Akron & Columbus, and the Erie.