In 1888, the Akron Building and Loan Association was opened. The first officers included familiar Akron family names: Hugo Schumacher, W.B. Gamble, A.H. Noah, William Buchtel, and P.M. Atterholt. In 1909, after several moves, the name of the company was changed to the Akron Savings and Loan Company, with its headquarters at the Savings and Loan Building on South Main Street and Bowery Street. This building pictured in this postcard was demolished in c.1923 to make way for the new “Landmark” building (which still stands today).