Popular Akron auto dealership in the 50’s. Sold Dodge, Plymouth, Simca, Lloyds, Sunbeams, AMC. DeWitt’s claim to fame was being the only Dodge and Plymouth dealer in the nation with its own proving and testing ground. Location: 479 N. Main Street
It may be unrecognizable today, but the one-time importance of Howard Street can easily be seen in this postcard view as it appeared looking South from Market Street. Busy people, cars, horses with carts, and trolleys fill the scene outside Federman’s “Lowest Price Store” in Akron.
For much of the early 1900’s, the Summit lake area of Akron was among the most picturesque in the city.
Postcard view of Akron’s Main Street from Market Street looking south. Founded along the Little Cuyahoga River in 1825 by Simon Perkins and Paul Williams, the location of Akron carefully and strategically planned at the summit of the developing Ohio and Erie Canal.
Owned by T.E. McShaffrey, Hotel Marne was located at 281 South Main Street. The 175-room hotel was opened on September 7, 1919 and managed by J.H. Bromley. The Marne was one of many new hotels to open in Akron in the early 1900s.
Built by the Freemasons in 1917 for their business and social gatherings. Following a sale in 1999, the building went through a two million dollar restoration project. Today the structure is used as a special events center.
Lower and Higher Bridges over the Cuyahoga River. The Lower Bridge, at Gorge, was 100 feet long by 50 feet wide and made of wood with iron supports. The Higher Bridge was 375 feet long by 101 feet high. It was erected in 1904 at a cost of $70,000. Although primarily used for electric cars,…
Construction on the current church building began in 1902, and opened in 1905. It features a German Baroque Romanesque style of architecture and was designed by noted Akron-born architect William P. Ginther, whose portfolio also includes Annunciation, St. Bernard, and St. Mary Church. St. Bernard Church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
Built in 1923, the Akron Savings & Loan building is 158-foot-tall 12-story high-rise. 1888 the Akron Savings & Loan began as the Akron Building and Loan Association (196 South High Street). The first officers were Hugo Schumacher, W.B. Gamble, A.H. Noah, William Buchtel, and P.M. Atterholt. 1891 The company moved to larger offices inside the…
The Mayflower Hotel took her place among downtown Akron’s landmark buildings in 1931. The luxury hotel was an enormous symbol of the city’s prosperity. Interestingly, 1931 also saw the rise of Akron’s First Central Trust Tower and the new YMCA building.
In 1888, the Akron Building and Loan Association was opened. The first officers included familiar Akron family names: Hugo Schumacher, W.B. Gamble, A.H. Noah, William Buchtel, and P.M. Atterholt. In 1909, after several moves, the name of the company was changed to the Akron Savings and Loan Company, with its headquarters at the Savings and Loan…
The Marathon Rubber Co. of Cuyahoga Falls/Akron opened in 1912. They manufactured a variety of rubber products including tires, tubes, and belts. The plant pictured here was located on Front Street at the end of Sackett Avenue. Marathon Tire and Rubber Co. formed from the reorganization of the original Marathon Company with C.C. Osmun serving…
The 27 story art deco style building sits at the corner of Main Street and East Mill Street. The tower was built on the former site of the Hamilton Building.
The streetlights outside the J. Koch Company, the Grotto, Lewis Jewlery and the Buchtel are all aglow on this chilly night in Akron. Main Street is busy with Interurban cars and trolleys shuttling Akronites in and out of town.
Mill Street looking west was a busy place. The five-story Hotel Buchtel was opened in 1884 on the southeast corner of Main and Mill Streets. It featured a hydraulic-powered elevator, electric lights in every room and bathrooms on every floor. – S.A. Freedlander Optician, Hotel Buchtel European Rooms
Google Street View – Mill Street, Akron, Ohio