Police Station and Municipal Building, Akron, Ohio

Police Station – Municipal Building

The first horseless police vehicle ever introduced in the United States was purchased by the city of Akron in 1899. The Collins Buddy Company produced the car for $2,400, or $65,000 in today’s money. Two 4hp electric motors powered the battery-run vehicle. With a top speed of 18 mph and a range of 30 miles with the batteries fully charged, this 5,000-pound “paddy” wagon was equipped with electric headlights, a gong, and a cell for prisoners.

error: This function is restricted.