The original Central building on Forge Street opened in 1886 and was initially named Akron High School. It was renamed Central High School in 1911 when the city opened the new South High School.
Built in 1911 at 30 West Thornton Street at Coburn, South was the city’s second high school. In 1956, after the construction of a new South High School, the original building became Thornton Junior High School and housed grades seven through nine until its closure in 1979.
Akron High School was located on Forge Street, between College and Union Streets, facing Union Park. The school was established in 1857, but the pictured building was erected in 1885 at a cost of $135,000. The main tower stood 108 feet from the ground and housed a 2000 pound bell. The four illuminated clock faces…
A view of the much-changed intersection of Union Street, Forge Street and Mill streets near downtown Akron. Akron’s old High School can be seen on the left side of the image.
In 1848, Col. Simon Perkins, son of Akron’s founder, gave the People of Akron a gift. Originally called Flatiron Park (a reference to its triangular shape), Union Park, along with Grace Park were given to the people of Akron with a stipulation that these lands be used “for the purpose of public squares, or grounds,…
The high school was located on Forge Street, between College and Union Streets, facing Union Park. The school was established in 1857, but the pictured building was erected in 1885 at a cost of $135,000.
Built in 1884, Akron High School sat on the block created by Union, College, Buchtel and Forge Streets. The school was renamed Central High School after the 1911 construction of South High School. Akron’s Central High was demolished in 1973 and replaced by Central-Hower High School.
Akron High School, built in 1884, was renamed Central High School in 1911 when South High was built. The school sat on the current site of Central-Hower High School until it was demolished and replaced in 1973.
The four-story, brick-and-stone structure was designed by local architectural firm Harpster & Bliss. Construction of West High School cost $225,000. For its first seven years, West served as both a high school and an elementary school.
Established in 1915, North High School was Akron’s fourth high school, after Central, South, and West. The school was located at the northwest corner of Dayton Street and East Tallmadge Avenue. It later became Jennings Middle School. The building was destroyed in 2012.
The high school was located on Forge Street, between College and Union Streets, facing Union Park. The school was established in 1857, but the pictured building was erected in 1885 at a cost of $135,000. The school was renamed Central High after the 1911 construction of South High.
In1923 The Sisters of St. Dominican purchased what would become their campus from Arthur Hudson Marks, an industrialist and former B.F. Goodrich vice president. The “Elm Court” mansion, built in 1911, was renamed Our Lady of the Elms. It became the sisters’ living quarters.
The spacious West High included a 1,200-seat two-level assembly room, a walled rooftop garden, and a modern gymnasium with running track. West graduated its largest class in 1931 — 125 students in January and 221 in June. Its final graduating class in June 1953 had only 136 members. Eventually, West became a junior high school…