Akron High School was located on Forge Street, between College and Union Streets, facing Union Park. The school was established in 1857, but the pictured building was erected in 1885 at a cost of $135,000. The main tower stood 108 feet from the ground and housed a 2000 pound bell. The four illuminated clock faces were each 16 feet in diameter. The building stood until 1973 when it was demolished to make way for the new Central-Hower High School.