Tag: cart

Central Engine House (Fire Station), Akron, Ohio

Fire Station – Central Engine House

Akron Fire Department has a long and proud history dating all the way back to 1839 when the North Akron Fire Company was formed. Akron’s volunteer fire-fighting forces were consolidated to form the “Akron Fire Department” in 1866.  The members of the department were placed on a full pay basis in 1903. The department was…

Akron Depot

Union Station/Depot

Built before the rubber boom, Akron’s Union Station quickly showed its inadequacies as the city’s population exploded. Although additions were made, the station was never large enough to handle the popularity of Akron. In 1950 a new Union Depot was built to replace the aging structure and by 1951 it had been demolished.

Amelia Flats & Union Station, Akron, Ohio

Union Station – Amelia Flats

Amelia Flats was the first of two apartment building constructed by businessman Horace B. Camp (1838-1907). The flats were built as upscale suites in a neighborhood well known for its affluent residents – Barber, Buchtel, Bierce, Firestone, Hower, Seiberling and Schumacher.

Ohio Building, Akron, Ohio

Ohio Building

This is the Ohio Building in Akron, Ohio. In this postcard view, old cars can be seen parked along the front and side of the building. Additionally, a horse and cart are seen on the street making deliveries.

Union Station, Akron, Ohio

Union Station “depot”

The city’s second Union Station was built in 1891 and demolished in 1951. It was located between East Market and Park streets. This station served the Baltimore & Ohio (B&O), Cleveland Akron & Columbus (CA&C) and the Erie Railroads. It was replaced by Union Depot.

Valley Railway Station

Valley Railway Station

This ornate railway passenger station, built in 1888, was located on the corner of West Market Street and South Canal Street. The station was built to relocate passenger service from the railroad’s less convenient station at North Howard and Ridge Streets. The Valley Railway reached from Cleveland to Akron via the Cuyahoga Valley and then south to Valley Junction…

Market Street, Akron, Ohio

Market Street

Very old view of the Empire House on Akron’s Market Street. The area is busy with activity as a trolley moves through the scene. By 1912, the Empire would be destroyed to make way for the new 250-room Portage Hotel.

Mills of the Quaker Oats Company, Akron, Ohio

Mills of the Quaker Oats Co.

Mills of the Quaker Oats Co. can be seen in the background of this postcard. The former CA&C/Railway Express Agency station is in the foreground. A railroad boxcar is being loaded on the team track at the right of the image. The image was taken from the mill street bridge over the city’s main railroad lines.

Old YMCA Building

YMCA – Building

The Akron YMCA began in 1870 as a small reading room on South Howard Street. By In 1904 they had grown enough to build a five-story building at State and Main. This structure was later raised to make room for the Mayflower Hotel.

Central Fire Station, Akron, Ohio

Fire Station – Central

Akron Fire Department has a long and proud history dating all the way back to 1839 when Akron Council provided for the creation of volunteer companies to replace the Fire Warden.  The “North Akron Fire Company” was formed on December 11, 1839.  The first fire engine house was erected in 1841.

error: This function is restricted.