In 1874, Ralph H. Lodge bought Silver Lake (all the land covered by water but no land around it) for $1,300. The next year, Lodge bought 35 acres of land at the South West corner of the lake. Prior to Lodge’s investment, a tribe of Seneca Indians summered at the South end of Silver Lake…
Built before the rubber boom, Akron’s Union Station quickly showed its inadequacies as the city’s population exploded. Although additions were made, the station was never large enough to handle the popularity of Akron. In 1950 a new Union Depot was built to replace the aging structure and by 1951 it had been demolished.
IN 1889, with just 13 employees, Goodyear production began. The product line included bicycle and carriage tires, horseshoe pads, and poker chips. By 1916, Goodyear had grown into the world’s largest tire company, and by 1926 it was the world’s largest rubber company.
An evening train ride through the Silver Lake Park on the shores of Silver Lake near Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. The train was just one of many attractions at the park, including a dance hall, small zoo, amusement rides, picnic areas, and steamboat rides. The first conductor on the Silver Lake Miniature Railroad was Sammy Wise…
With a train in the background a sunken canal boat in the foreground, and the prominent Northern Ohio Railway bridge towering over the scene, this historic postcard image gives a glimpse into Akron, Ohio’s transportation history.
The Miniature Railway at Silver Lake Park was a 15 in gauge miniature railway opened in 1902. The main station was on the lakeshore at the boat landing dock. The inaugural route, which changed in later years, allowed passengers lengthy views of the lake and the zoo area.
The first Goodyear factory opened in Akron, Ohio, in 1898. The thirteen original employees manufactured bicycle and carriage tires, rubber horseshoe pads, and poker chips. The company grew with the advent of the automobile. In this image, an Akron & Barberton Belt steam train switches cars at Goodyear’s east Akron factory.
The factory was located at Sweitzer and Cole Avenues in Akron, Ohio. B. F. Goodrich purchased the company in 1930 and continued operations there until 1957.
Firestone had its origins in the rubber city. Founded in1900, the company started operations with just 12 employees. Together, Firestone and Goodyear (also an Akron company) were the largest suppliers of automotive tires in North America for over 75 years. In 1906 Henry Ford chose Firestone for Model T original equipment tires.
Founded in 1907 by S. E. Duff, Star Rubber Goods was one of Akron’s earliest rubber manufacturers. In 1916 the company entered the tire manufacturing business, having previously made druggists’ rubber sundries. The company was reported to have a capacity for 750 tubes and 600 tires a day.