Construction on the first building was completed on March 1, 1915. Akron’s new Peoples Hospital struggled financially in its early years. The institution relied heavily on donations, volunteer hours, and donated medical supplies to stay afloat.
Construction on Akron’s new hospital was completed in 1915. The building was located on West Cedar Street and had 125 beds. In 1916, a separate facility was added to house the hospital’s nurses.
After construction in 1915, the hospital struggled financially. In those early years, the hospital relied heavily upon donations of money, supplies and volunteer hours in order to remain in operation.
It began in 1914 with the establishment of The Peoples Hospital Co. Just one year later, a new 125-bed, Peoples Hospital on West Cedar Street would be serving the medical needs of Akronites. In 1954 the hospital would see a massive 200-bed expansion as well as a new name, Akron General Hospital (shown here).
In the early 1900s, Akron was growing faster than any other city in America. An increasing need for quality healthcare services led Dr.s W.W. Leondard, A.F. Sippy, and G.M. Logan to imagine a new hospital that would be financed, owned, and patronized by the people of Akron. With the financial help of Akron’s elite, including names…