On May 18, 1909, a fire in the seven-story Hower Power block destroyed the building and its contents, causing losses in excess of $1,500,000. Several girls employed in the building had a narrow escape. Firemen were in danger from falling walls.
The building was occupied entirely by light manufacturing companies. There were more than 200 employes in the building when the fire was discovered.
The blaze started in the basement and the occupants of the block had plenty of time to escape, although the young women were thrown into a panic.
Both the GOODRICH Rubber Company and the Diamond Tire Company lost thousands of dollars’ worth of automobile tires.