A view of the much-changed intersection of Union Street, Forge Street and Mill streets near downtown Akron. Akron’s old High School can be seen on the left side of the image. Union Park is ahead on the right.
Before Rubber made the city, Akronite Paul E. Werner was making a name for himself in the printing/publishing business. In 1886 he began building the Werner Printing and Lithograph Co. which, for a time, was the nation’s largest book publishing company. Rapid changes to international copyright laws in the early 1900s swept Werner’s company into a…
Michael O’Neil and his partner Isaac Dyas began serving Akron shoppers in 1877. Their first store was a dry goods store located at 114 East Market Street. Before being sold in 1912, O’neils had several locations in the Akron Canton Area.
Kenmore was founded in 1908, as a residential community between the industrial cities of Akron and Barberton. The village which was strategically built along the streetcar lines between the two cities and grew so fast that it earned the nicknamed “fastest–growing city in the world“. Kenmore was annexed by Akron in 1928. Pictured: I.O.O.F. Lodge 927
The lower bridge was built in 1895, while the upper double-track streetcar bridge was built in 1903. Both bridges spanned the Gorge between Akron and Cuyahoga Falls, located near the road that is now Front Street, north of Cuyahoga Falls Avenue.
“South Main Street is the main thoroughfare in Akron. Most of the leading stores, theaters, and hotels are located on this street. It is the dividing line for cross streets, all numbered running east and west start from here. State Routes Nos. 8, 18 and 36 pass through South Main Street.” – Federman’s, Shulans, Bear’s,…
Interurban cars are lined up outside the Hamilton Building on South Main Street. It’s another busy day in Akron.
Quaker Oats mills looking down Akron’s busy Howard Street. The Flatiron building is seen here towering above the Interurban streetcars.
Very old view of the Empire House on Akron’s Market Street. The area is busy with activity as a trolley moves through the scene. By 1912, the Empire would be destroyed to make way for the new 250-room Portage Hotel.
A quiet afternoon on Akron’s South Main Street. As trolley #208 works it’s way through the streets.
The streetlights outside the J. Koch Company, the Grotto, Lewis Jewlery and the Buchtel are all aglow on this chilly night in Akron. Main Street is busy with Interurban cars and trolleys shuttling Akronites in and out of town.
Street scene along Mill Street in Akron, Ohio.
C.L.U. Hall, Walsh Block, 65 S. Main St, Akron, Ohio.
A streetcar is seen crossing the Mill Street Viaduct over the main rail lines through town. At the right can be seen the Cleveland Akron & Columbus freight shed.
Mill Street looking west was a busy place. The five-story Hotel Buchtel was opened in 1884 on the southeast corner of Main and Mill Streets. It featured a hydraulic-powered elevator, electric lights in every room and bathrooms on every floor. – S.A. Freedlander Optician, Hotel Buchtel European Rooms
Looking down on Akron’s Main Street gives a picture of how vibrant and busy this city was in its heyday.
Spicer street bears the name of a true Akron pioneer. Miner Spicer, born in 1776, came to Portage Township (Akron) with his family in 1811. Along with his wife, Cynthia, and their children Avery, 11, Lucinda, 10, Cynthia, 8, Phoebe, 6, Temperance, 3, Emily, 2, and Lydia, 4 months,the Spicers became the Portage Township’s first white settlers.…
Main Street, Akron, Ohio.
A wonderful view of East Market Street showing the transition period from horse and cart to automobile. On the left side of the image, one of Akron’s first hotels can be seen; The Empire House Hotel opened in 1847 and served Akron visitors until it was torn down in 1912. It was replaced by the Portage…
Google Street View – Mill Street, Akron, Ohio