Author: tconte

Mayflower Hotel, Akron, Ohio

Mayflower Hotel

Akron’s Mayflower Hotel on Main Street Located at the corner of Main Street and State Street, the 16 story Mayflower had 450 room, a ballroom, banquet hall, six private dining rooms, one large dining room, coffee Shop, and equipped with modern equipment.

Summit Beach Park

Bathers at Summit Beach

Summit Lake was a popular summer retreat for Akron area residents. First as a picturesque picnic area and latter as a amusement park. From rollercoasters to live entertainment, the park had it all. The Beach Park operated for 40 years before closing its gates in 1958.

Uss Macon under construction

USS Macon – PC2 Under Construction

The USS Macon was christened on 11 March 1933, by Jeanette Whitton Moffett, wife of Rear Admiral William A. Moffett, Chief of the U.S. Navy’s Bureau of Aeronautics. The airship was named after the city of Macon, Georgia. On April 21, 1933, just weeks after the loss of the USS Akron in which Admiral Moffett…

Glenn Curtiss in Hydro-Aeroplane at Summit Lake, Akron, Ohio

Lakeside – Glenn Curtiss Hydro-Aeroplane

In 1911, aviation pioneer Glenn H. Curtiss promised Akron a memorable event. Curtiss brought his experimental hydro-airplane to Lakeside Park at Summit Lake. His three flights were seen by nearly 50,000 people that day. During his final flight, the hydro-airplane lost a section of its propeller. Although the plane to become unstable, Curtiss was able to safely bring…

Gorge Park, Akron, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

Gorge Park

This park was wildly popular and drew huge crowds to the nascent town. “High Bridge Glens attracted up to 10,000 visitors a day during the summer season,” says McClure. “Not bad considering the entire population of Cuyahoga Falls was only about 2,500 people at that time.” High Bridge Glens closed in 1895, but that was…

Silver Lake Park - A Trip to Rockaway, Cuyahoga Falls/Akron, Ohio

Silver Lake Park – A Trip to Rockaway

Silver Lake was a popular Akron area amusement park. The site featured animal exhibits, a dance hall, steamboat rides, carnival rides, a miniature railway and a hotel. Silver Lake was one of the biggest attractions in all of Ohio. In its prime, the park received over 10,000 visitors per day.

DeWitt's Automobile Ranch, Akron, Ohio

DeWitt’s Automobile Ranch

Popular Akron auto dealership in the 50’s. Sold Dodge, Plymouth, Simca, Lloyds, Sunbeams, AMC. DeWitt’s claim to fame was being the only Dodge and Plymouth dealer in the nation with its own proving and testing ground.   Location: 479 N. Main Street

Police Station and Municipal Building, Akron, Ohio

Police Station – Municipal Building

The first horseless police vehicle ever introduced in the United States was purchased by the city of Akron in 1899. The Collins Buddy Company produced the car for $2,400, or $65,000 in today’s money. Two 4hp electric motors powered the battery-run vehicle. With a top speed of 18 mph and a range of 30 miles with the batteries…

Goodrich Rubber Company, Akron, Ohio

B. F. Goodrich Rubber Company

The B.F. Goodrich Company was founded in 1870 by Dr. Benjamin Franklin Goodrich. The company began as a manufacturer of rubberized hoses and later began manufacturing pneumatic bicycle tires. In 1896, B.F. Goodrich became the first company in the United States to manufacture pneumatic automobile tires.

Howard Street, South from Market Street

Howard Street

It may be unrecognizable today, but the one-time importance of Howard Street can easily be seen in this postcard view as it appeared looking South from Market Street. Busy people, cars, horses with carts, and trolleys fill the scene outside Federman’s “Lowest Price Store” in Akron.

High School, Akron, Ohio

Akron High School

This beautiful piece of architecture was the city’s high school. The school was located on Forge Street, between College and Union Streets, facing Union Park. It was first established in 1857, but the pictured building was erected in 1885 at a cost of $135,000.

Peoples Hospital Akron, Ohio

Peoples Hospital

Construction on the first building was completed on March 1, 1915. Akron’s new Peoples Hospital struggled financially in its early years. The institution relied heavily on donations, volunteer hours, and donated medical supplies to stay afloat.

error: This function is restricted.