The USS Macon was christened on 11 March 1933, by Jeanette Whitton Moffett, wife of Rear Admiral William A. Moffett, Chief of the U.S. Navy’s Bureau of Aeronautics. The airship was named after the city of Macon, Georgia.
On April 21, 1933, just weeks after the loss of the USS Akron in which Admiral Moffett and 72 others were killed, the USS Macon took flight over northern Ohio for nearly 13 hours with 105 aboard. Macon was commissioned into the U.S. Navy on June 23, 1933. The Macon’s first commanding officer was Commander Alger H. Dresel.
From the collection of A. Stuart Tulk
This postcard image of the USS Macon was provided from the collection of A. Stuart Tulk of Towanda, PA.
Mr. Tulk was an enthusiast of all things mechanical, including automobiles, airplanes, and lighter that air ships. In the 1970’s he put together a talk about early flying machines which was presented to several groups.