At one time, Howard Street was one of the most popular areas of Akron’s downtown. Busy people, cars, and horses with carts fill the scene outside Federman’s “Lowest Price Store in Akron.” Also in the scene – the Empress theater, and Kirk’s.
The Strand Theatre opened on September 2, 1915 with “The Island of Regeneration”. The theater had seating for more than 1200 patrons. It was demolished in 1990.