View of the Hotel Frankfort on Akron’s Market Street. The hotel was north of the old Library and Post Office.
The brick building opened in 1899 as Akron’s main post office. Pairs of carved eagle medallions and bronze lanterns decorate its Market Street façade and a mosaic depicting a Pony Express rider is embedded in its lobby floor. The Akron Art Museum moved into the building in 1981 after a major renovation.
The United States Post Office building is located at the corner of E. Market and Prospect Streets was completed in 1929 at a cost of $565, 000. This was Akron’s second Post Office building – the last having been built in 1899. The building’s second floor served as a home for other governmental organizations including:…
Vintage images of Akron’s Market Street.