Akron’s Mayflower Hotel on Main Street Located at the corner of Main Street and State Street, the 16 story Mayflower had 450 room, a ballroom, banquet hall, six private dining rooms, one large dining room, coffee Shop, and equipped with modern equipment.
The elegantly appointed dining room in the Portage Hotel.
The Walter Thornwell Inn on Manchester Road. tel Man-3523.
This towering structure once stood at 11 South Main Street. The 11-story, 112-room hotel was the tallest building in Akron when it opened in 1915. The hotel, which had been left vacant and neglected for years, was demolished in 1998.
View of the Hotel Frankfort on Akron’s Market Street. The hotel was north of the old Library and Post Office.
The Imperial 400 motel chain was founded in 1959. Properties were usually two-story buildings with “gull wing” shaped roofs over the lobby. The architecture of Akron’s Imperial hotel was typical of the chain. Location: 210 W. Market Street “Aye, Royal Accommodations at Thr-rifty Rates – America’s Fast Growing Partnership Chain. All New! Heated Swimming Pool, Room TV, Phones,…
The Mayflower hotel was located at the corner of State and Main. In this view, it was a DeWitt operated hotel.
The Mayflower Hotel took her place among downtown Akron’s landmark buildings in 1931. The luxury hotel was an enormous symbol of the city’s prosperity. Interestingly, 1931 also saw the rise of Akron’s First Central Trust Tower and the new YMCA building.
This is Akron’s first YMCA building. The organization would outgrow this building by the 1920’s and replace it with a 16-story Art Deco building in 1931. The Young Men’s Christian Association, commonly known as simply the Y, is an organization founded on putting Christian principles into practice by developing a healthy “body, mind, and spirit”.
Located at 10 North Main Street, this eight-story, 170-room hotel was completed in 1912. After its closing in 1969, the Portage was converted into a nursing home. After 80 years in Akron, the building was demolished in 1992.
The main building was originally the Methodist church which stood on the corner of South Broadway and Church streets. The building was purchased by F. Schumacher and moved to the corner of Mill and Summit streets, where he operated it as a temperance hotel under the name “Cascade House”. In 1884, Schumacher moved the building…
100 outside fireproof rooms with bath. Modern cocktail bar and Clark restaurant.
Magnificently modern in concept, comfort, convenience – 200 luxury rooms – Free inside parking – Swimming pool – Restaurant. 50 West State St. Akron 8 Ohio Telephone: 762-0451 Teletype AK84
The Portage Hotel at Main Street and Market Street replaced the Empire House Hotel in 1912. The Portage was Akron’s leading hotel until construction of the Mayflower Hotel. In 1935, in the Portage Hotel’s ballroom, Akron’s rubber workers created the United Rubber Workers (URW) union.