Opened in 1899 as Akron’s main post office, today this building is part of the Akron Art Museum. Pairs of carved eagle medallions and bronze lanterns decorate the building’s façade. A mosaic depicting a Pony Express rider is embedded in the lobby floor.
Post office building in Cuyahoga Falls, near Akron, Ohio.Location: 2054 2nd St, Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44221
The brick building opened in 1899 as Akron’s main post office. Pairs of carved eagle medallions and bronze lanterns decorate its Market Street façade and a mosaic depicting a Pony Express rider is embedded in its lobby floor. The Akron Art Museum moved into the building in 1981 after a major renovation.
The United States Post Office building is located at the corner of E. Market and Prospect Streets was completed in 1929 at a cost of $565, 000. This was Akron’s second Post Office building – the last having been built in 1899. The building’s second floor served as a home for other governmental organizations including:…
The first horseless (motorized) police vehicle introduced in the United States was used in Akron, Ohio. The vehicle had seating space for 12 people. The car was often called a squad car because it was used to transport a squad of police officers to a crime scene.