Carved from the earth nearly 12,000 years ago, the Gorge is one of the area’s greatest natural wonders. The area is also filled with amazing folklore. On May 21, 1758, at the age of ten, Campbell was abducted from a place in or near the town of Penn’s Creek, in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania. Her captors were a band…
Once known as Old Maid’s Kitchen, the site can be found in the Gorge Metro Park. Today, the cave is named for Mary Campbell, a white settler from Pennsylvania taken captive by the Leni Lenape Indians and brought to the Cuyahoga Valley and possibly the Gorge.
In the early 1900s, the Northern Ohio Traction & Light Company built a power plant and concrete dam on the Cuyahoga River in present day Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. Although the power plant is long gone, the dam remains and its waters continue hide Big Falls.
Lower and Higher Bridges over the Cuyahoga River. The Lower Bridge, at Gorge, was 100 feet long by 50 feet wide and made of wood with iron supports. The Higher Bridge was 375 feet long by 101 feet high. It was erected in 1904 at a cost of $70,000. Although primarily used for electric cars,…
The dam was built in 1911-1912 by the Northern Ohio Traction & Light Co. as part of a hydroelectric plant that generated electricity for its Akron trolley cars. Use of the Hydroelectric generation plant was discontinued in 1958.
The Gorge formed about 12,000 years ago as the Cuyahoga River carried water to Lake Erie. Most of the 100 mile river is shallow and slow-moving — but in the gorge, water descends 200 feet within a short two-mile section of the gorge.
The lower bridge was built in 1895, while the upper double-track streetcar bridge was built in 1903. Both bridges spanned the Gorge between Akron and Cuyahoga Falls, located near the road that is now Front Street, north of Cuyahoga Falls Avenue.
The High Bridge Glens and Caves Park, located along the Cuyahoga River in Cuyahoga Falls, was a popular tourist destination in the late 1800s. The park attracted as many as 8,000 visitors per day. The entire area is currently submerged behind the NOT&L “Edison” Dam.
The Northern Ohio Power and Light Company built a power plant at the southeast corner of the High Street car bridge over the Cuyahoga River in 1912. This project included the construction of a dam that would cover the famed Big Falls and forever change the natural beauty of the Gorge.