USS Akron flys proudly over the Goodyear plant. She was the world’s first purpose-built flying aircraft carrier, carrying F9C Sparrowhawk fighter planes which could be launched and recovered while she was in flight. The Goodyear company is named after American Charles Goodyear, inventor of vulcanized rubber. The first Goodyear factory opened in Akron, Ohio, in…
The USS Macon was built at the Goodyear Airdock in Springfield Township (Akron) by the Goodyear-Zeppelin Corporation. This was by far the biggest airship ever to be built in America. A team of experienced German airship engineers—led by Chief Designer Karl Arnstein—instructed and supported design and construction of both the U.S. Navy airships Macon and Akron.
By 1926 Goodyear was the largest rubber company in the world. Only four years earlier it was forced to temporarily halt production of racing tires due to heavy competition. Nevertheless, the popularity of the Goodyear tire on the racing circuit led to a popular demand for the return of the brand.
The first Goodyear factory opened in Akron, Ohio, in 1898. The thirteen original employees manufactured bicycle and carriage tires, rubber horseshoe pads, and poker chips. The company grew with the advent of the automobile. In this image, an Akron & Barberton Belt steam train switches cars at Goodyear’s east Akron factory.
The USS Los Angeles was decommissioned in 1932, but was recommissioned for a period after the USS Akron crashed in April 1933. The airship was struck off the Navy list in 1939 and dismantled in its hangar, thus ending the career of the Navy’s longest-serving rigid airship.
Built and previously owned by the Goodyear-Zeppelin Corporation, later Goodyear Aerospace, the massive Airdock was constructed in 1929.at a cost of $2.2 million.
Founded in 1898 by Frank Seiberling, Goodyear manufactures tires for automobiles, commercial trucks, light trucks, motorcycles, SUVs, race cars, airplanes, farm equipment and heavy earth-mover machinery. It also produced bicycle tires from its founding until 1976.
The Goodyear company was named after Charles Goodyear, a self-taught chemist and the inventor of vulcanized rubber. Charles Goodyear is credited with inventing the chemical process to create and manufacture pliable, waterproof, moldable rubber.
The Industrial University Club House is located at the corner of Goodyear Boulevard and East Market Street.
In 1898, Frank Seiberling borrowed $3,500 from his brother-in-law Lucius Miles for the down payment needed to buy an abandoned strawboard factory on the banks of the Little Cuyahoga River in Akron, where he would found The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
Mistaken Identity The airship featured on this vintage Akron postcard was not the USS Akron ZRS-4. Pictured here is most likely the USS Los Angeles. Misidentifying these airships was not a one time an artist made this ][mistake. On another popular postcard of the day, the USS Los Angeles is shown flying over Washington D.C., but she was…