A streetcar is seen crossing the Mill Street Viaduct over the main rail lines through town. At the right can be seen the Cleveland Akron & Columbus freight shed.
Mill Street looking west was a busy place. The five-story Hotel Buchtel was opened in 1884 on the southeast corner of Main and Mill Streets. It featured a hydraulic-powered elevator, electric lights in every room and bathrooms on every floor. – S.A. Freedlander Optician, Hotel Buchtel European Rooms
Looking down on Akron’s Main Street gives a picture of how vibrant and busy this city was in its heyday.
Spicer street bears the name of a true Akron pioneer. Miner Spicer, born in 1776, came to Portage Township (Akron) with his family in 1811. Along with his wife, Cynthia, and their children Avery, 11, Lucinda, 10, Cynthia, 8, Phoebe, 6, Temperance, 3, Emily, 2, and Lydia, 4 months,the Spicers became the Portage Township’s first white settlers.…
Main Street, Akron, Ohio.
A wonderful view of East Market Street showing the transition period from horse and cart to automobile. On the left side of the image, one of Akron’s first hotels can be seen; The Empire House Hotel opened in 1847 and served Akron visitors until it was torn down in 1912. It was replaced by the Portage…
The Northern Ohio Power and Light Company built a power plant at the southeast corner of the High Street car bridge over the Cuyahoga River in 1912. This project included the construction of a dam that would cover the famed Big Falls and forever change the natural beauty of the Gorge.
This rather plain looking structure once stood on the site of today’s First National Bank Tower. The Hamilton Building was home to the Central Savings and Trust which moved into the building in 1918 and renamed it the Central Savings and Trust Building. The bank remained there until the building was demolished and replaced by…
Located at 10 North Main Street, this eight-story, 170-room hotel was completed in 1912. After its closing in 1969, the Portage was converted into a nursing home. After 80 years in Akron, the building was demolished in 1992.
Google Street View – Mill Street, Akron, Ohio
View of Main Street and Mill Street – Akron, Ohio.
The Industrial University Club House is located at the corner of Goodyear Boulevard and East Market Street.
Main Street Akron Postcards