Although the current church building opened in 1916, the history of St. Mary’s parish goes back much further. In 1887, Bishop Richard Gilmour commissioned Rev. Dr. Thomas F. Mahar, pastor of St. Vincent Church, the oldest Catholic church in Akron, to establish a mission in South Akron. That mission became St. Mary Parish in 1896.
The first class to graduate from St. Mary High School was in 1901. The school’s first football team was formed in 1922, and the St. M’s basketball team won the State Class B championship in 1929. In 75 years of operation, St. Mary High School graduated 4,351 students.