Busy day at Akron’s Central Fire Station. A crowd gathers to watch firemen practice their skills.
Founded in 1907 by S. E. Duff, Star Rubber Goods was one of Akron’s earliest rubber manufacturers. In 1916 the company entered the tire manufacturing business, having previously made druggists’ rubber sundries. The company was reported to have a capacity for 750 tubes and 600 tires a day.
Akron Fire Department has a long and proud history dating all the way back to 1839 when Akron Council provided for the creation of volunteer companies to replace the Fire Warden. The “North Akron Fire Company” was formed on December 11, 1839. The first fire engine house was erected in 1841.
The Y.W.C.A. building at 22 S. High St. was originally called the Grace House, (later known as the Sawan Building). The YWCA moved into the building in 1907 after remodeling and adding a cafeteria, swimming pool, gym, and track. The building was demolished in 1994.
This rather plain looking structure once stood on the site of today’s First National Bank Tower. The Hamilton Building was home to the Central Savings and Trust which moved into the building in 1918 and renamed it the Central Savings and Trust Building. The bank remained there until the building was demolished and replaced by…
Located at 10 North Main Street, this eight-story, 170-room hotel was completed in 1912. After its closing in 1969, the Portage was converted into a nursing home. After 80 years in Akron, the building was demolished in 1992.
View of Main Street and Mill Street – Akron, Ohio.
Main Street Akron Postcards