The Empire House opened on November 20, 1847. The hotel served Akron visitors until it was torn down in 1912 to make way for the Portage Hotel.
Although difficult to recognize today, East Market Street was once home to the area’s wealthiest and most influential residents. From industrial tycoons to the political elite, East Market was where they called home.
Not even the streetcars are operating on this quiet morning along East Market Street.
A wonderful view of East Market Street showing the transition period from horse and cart to automobile. On the left side of the image, one of Akron’s first hotels can be seen; The Empire House Hotel opened in 1847 and served Akron visitors until it was torn down in 1912. It was replaced by the Portage…
The Industrial University Club House is located at the corner of Goodyear Boulevard and East Market Street.